Which residential heating system is right for me?
Learn about the different types of residential heating systems available, and which is the right choice for your home.
There are many residential heating systems available, each with its own benefits depending on your specific application. Below, we look at some of the best residential heating systems available on the market today, including:
- Gas condensing boilers
- Oil boilers
- Solar thermal systems
The right system for you depends on your individual situation, the heating output required for your building, available fuel sources, climate and location, and other unique requirements you may have.
With that being said, you can use the guidelines below to help find out which residential heating system might be right for you, before working with a heating professional to create the perfect setup.
Gas condensing technology
Gas-fired condensing boilers are highly efficient residential heating systems, typically achieving more than 90% A.F.U.E. These condensing boilers use the heat generated from the initial gas combustion as well as capturing residual heat energy that would otherwise be lost in the exhaust. This cuts down on fuel costs as well as CO₂ emissions compared with older gas-fired boilers. Additionally, modern boiler systems such as these are easier to control and maintain over the long term.
Home heating systems using natural gas might be the right choice for you if:
- You already have a gas connection, or gas is available on your street.
- You're looking for a system that is extremely efficient and clean burning.
- You want a heating system with an excellent price-performance ratio.
- You know that proven gas reserves will last at least 70 years and that gas condensing technology has a future with biogas.
Oil heating technology
Oil home heating systems are a reliable, long-lasting, and economic choice for many homes. They are available wherever they can be installed, making them an ideal choice for rural homes that lack access to gas. What’s more, as far as domestic heating system types go, oil-fired boilers are still very efficient, with residential models operating at up to 87.1% A.F.U.E. Oil heating systems are generally used in remote areas, with fuel delivered to your door.
Residential heating systems run on oil might be suitable for you if:
- You have an oil tank, or space for a new one.
- You may have already heated with oil.
- You want a heating system with a good price-performance ratio.
- You know that proven oil reserves will last at least 40 years, and that oil heating technology has a future with biofuels.
Solar thermal technology
Residential solar hot water heating systems are by far the most eco-friendly choice for heating your home. Integrating solar technology into residential HVAC systems can reduce energy costs and carbon emissions by significant amounts. Flat plate solar collectors are also increasingly accessible for home heating systems. Additionally, pholtovoltaic solar panels are an option and work well in a hybrid system.
Residential solar heating systems could be the right choice for you if:
- You live in a house with an unshaded roof area to the south, west, or east.
- You want to use free energy from the sun to heat your domestic hot water or pool.
- You're looking for a renewable energy system that uses the cleanest, most abundant and easily accessible form of energy on earth.
Which heating system is best for my house?
As can be seen from the home heating systems comparison above, the type of heating system that is best for each house will be different depending on your individual needs, what fuel is available to you, and a number of other factors. For advice on the best system for your needs, speak to a professional installer with experience.
All of the different types of residential heating systems listed here are highly efficient, and able to deal with even the most demanding residential heating and hot water needs.
For more information on energy efficient heating systems, contact us today to discuss your options, as well as how our services can help keep your system running optimally through regular maintenance.